railway collector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• railway collector?

ive tried googling what a railway collector does, and all i get is modern toy collectors. i have a slight hunch on this one, im hoping it was some sort of servant.

What era are you referring to ? Railway collector is more than likely to have been a kind of labourer, maybe he collected tickets, or moved goods around, there are so many trades it could encompose. Who is this railway collector ? how old ? and where is he ? and what census ?

Comment

it doesnt help by saying who it is. it is a dead end i will never be able to solve i think.

Comment

If you give us the census ref., the address may give a clue. I have a family in which the children were born at a variety of railway stations on a (now long-closed) railway line.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Here's an alternative. Collecting money owed to the railway company for goods carried. These two court cases show they embezzled money given to them.

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper, Sunday, October 27, 1861
          “Embezzlement by Railway Collector … The prisoner had been in the service of the company [London and South-Western Railway] for 14 years, and was one of the collectors employed in collecting the sums due for goods carried by the company.”

Birmingham Daily Post, Wednesday, September 21, 1870
          “Embezzlement charge against Railway Collector. Received money in settlement of Railway Company’s account ... the prisoner's duties were to collect all the Company’s ledger accounts ... to enter all he received in the cash book.”
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thank you guys. i was looking at this man hoping he was a servant in 1871, i singled him out because he was in london, single , 30 and from ireland. but the family he was with worked on the railways. i was hoping i could find a match in 1871, as thats the only census he should be alive on. the 1861 is missing from the parts of london he should be in. and hes dead by 1881 if you believe the 'wife'.

Comment

A name for who you are looking for might help There are some super sleuths that inhabit FTF !

By the way, did you ever resolve James Conway ?

Nina

Comment

haha hi nina, it is james im trying to figure out. i was hoping if i could find some sort of servant, i might be able to look into it, but there isnt any in london, surrey or kent. doesnt mean he wasnt around, but in another county or back in ireland? but it really is a needle in a haystack!!

Comment

Ah well, on the 1851 & 1861, I found a James Conway abt.1848 East Ham (Barking doorstep!) with parents Thomas and Ellen. Both parents born in Ireland. However, in 1861 age 12, he is an Ag.lab.......but then I suppose he may have changed his occ when he left home ( don't suppose there were many green fields left ! ).

Here are the census refs:

1851 H0107; Piece 1768; Folio 613; Page 34

1861 RG9; Piece 1059; Folio 177; Page 10

Maybe, maybe not - but the only James Conway I could find on 1851 & 1861 with same birth place and parents !

Nina

Comment

In 1841 James's parents Thomas and Ellen were living in Cherry Garden Street, Bermondsey - Thomas is a gardener.

Ref: - H0107; Piece 1048; Folio 2/37; Page 25.

Comment

Going back a bit, where did you get the butler reference from ? and how sure are you of his birthplace ?

Comment

i dont have anything on him really. his daughter florence b.1870 wandsworth is my 2nd great grandmother. she has a brother ernest james b.1868 lewisham. their mother is sarah ingle b.1838 st george hanover square, and both births are registered under ingle.the family is conway in the census though. florence's marriage in 1892, to thomas henry morton states father as 'james conway deceased butler'. my pop and aunt were thomas and florenc's grandkids, my aunt says that james used to work for the mortons as a butler, but they dont have one in the census. in 1881 mother sarah says she is a widow. in 1871, wandsworth, she says she is married and a butler's wife. all i have on him is what sarah has given for information. on the 1911, she claims they are still married, and had been so since 1868!! but i cant any marriage so i assume they never did. i just assumed he was from ireland, as that seems to fit best. a true brick wall, one i doubt i can break.

Comment

Working...
                        X