Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Female ancestors who just disappear - trying looking for multiple marriages!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female ancestors who just disappear - trying looking for multiple marriages!!

I decided to start this thread as the idea may help other people. In the last two months I have managed to find what happened to two siblings of direct ancestors as a result of discovering their marriages. This sounds obvious but the individuals in question didn't make life easy!!

Emma Jane Duce born Goldthorpe, Rotherham 1842. This lady has always caused problems. She was the first born child of William Strong and Elizabeth Duce and born out of wedlock so she was baptised with her mothers surname. I managed to track her through the 1851, 61 71, and 1881 census returns but then at the age of 39 she disappears. The obvious answer is that she married and there was a marriage that fitted. In 1886 Emma Jane Duce married in Rotherham to either to either Thomas Cobb or Samuel Walker Cooke. The logical progression to establish who Emma married was to see if there was an Emma Jane Duce or an Emma Jane Walker(or and) Cooke. There wasn't. I was not able to find a death for Emma either. So Emma was put on the brick wall pile waiting for time to work on her.

A few weeks ago I was off work with a nasty virus and wasn't able to do much when I was feeling better, but not able to go back to work because I had a sick note, I revisited Emma. The answer was there all the time. On the 1871 and 1881 census she was the house keeper for Thomas Cobb and she was living with him and her children. It was at this point when I considered looking for another marriage and lo and behold Emma Jane Cobb married James Warne 1st quarter of 1891. She shows on the 1891 census with her husband. Further investigations of Emma's children Kate and Frederick showed that they were registered in 1871 and 1874 as Kate Cobb Duce and Frederick Cobb Duce. This would seem to be a fairly good indicator as to the identity of the father!!

Ann Coles born Kilmersdon, Somerset 1801. Possible marriage to John Hobbs 2 June 1824. But I could not find a death or any record of her on the census returns. Again, she went on the brick wall pile for further research. I found out what happened to Ann purely by accident. I was looking at her sister Sarah Coles. She married Thomas Gane in Sep 1824 and having given Thomas four children died(presumably as a result of child birth - the dates fit) in 1833. I am not sure why but I decided to find out who Thomas remarried - I think curiosity got the better of me. Freereg had a marriage of Thomas Gane 24 Jun 1841 Bride Ann Bray widower. However, what was interesting was that Ann's father was James Coles. Further investigation revealed that this was Sarah's sister Ann. Ann married John Hobbs who died in 1827. She then married Giles Bray in 1830. He died in 1835 and then her third marriage was Thomas Gane (her brother-in-law)in 1841. This was further proved by the 1841 census. She is living with her husband to be Thomas, her daughter from her first marriage, Elizabeth Hobbs, Charles Bray, Giles Bray and Emma Bray, (her children from her second marriage) and Edmund and Charles Gane her nephews and the children of Thomas. Ann and Thomas were married for 40 years until the death of Thomas in 1881

I hope this might inspire other people to revisit some of their brick walls!!

Sandra
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 30-12-10, 15:46.

Sandra

I have a woman in my tree who was married four times and appeared in five census with a completely different surname every time!

OC

Comment

I got a lucky break with one woman who had remarried as she'd registered her mother's death under her new surname and as informant it had explained she was the daughter.

I also found a remarried woman when I discovered her granddaughter staying with her. The census described the granddaughter as a "visitor" but I spotted that the seemingly unrelated woman had come from the same village as the granddaughter's father and managed to work back.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What a great piece of detective work there Sandra,

When I have been trawling the census looking for families etc it always puzzled me as to where they got to when I couldnt find them, My James Manley lead me a merry dance!

he was born in 1811 in Hemyock in Devon, he appears on the 1841 but then it gets confusing as the children are here there and everywhere, his is widowed in 1843, he marries again in 1846 has more children, and is widowed again in 1859, to tie in all the children and find out who belonged where I had to buy certs to prove my findings.
        which I didnt mind at all as it all helps to cement my thoughts.

another line is my Guy family.. they come from Arnold-Nottinghamshire, Annie Guy marries my George Wood in 1896, her parents were Edward and Harriet Guy, Annie had 7 siblings (that I have found at the moment) and I have various marriages for the siblings I figured that I would have a look for Edward/Harriets marriage this is where the problem lies, I couldnt find one in the time period i'd expect to 1873 the date of the 1st child being born. er no, no where to be seen.. so I try tracking them down in the census, Edward was born in 1839 that I could see and Harriet in 1850, 20 yr age gap? abit odd I think, so look further back in the census, lo and behold... Edward Hough still living with his parents.. and Harriet Guy living with her parents.... I eventually DID find the marriage, in 1907!!! but only because one of the children married and named Edward as Edward Hough (father) and then he dies in 1908! jeez.

I guess that the moral is to dissect and break down as much as you possibly can and really look at all the evidence that presents itself.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

I don't know if this is of any use to you but I was sent this link this morning for Nottinghamshire and Arnold features quite prominently. The lady in question has helped me quite a lot and she knew I had some Robinson's who came from Nottinghamshire.

Sandra

Comment

ohh thats Heathers site I think.. i'll have a look see
            Julie

Comment

ahh not Heathers but I have used that site in the past, it is very helpful and I will refer back to it, Thanks Sandra,
              Julie

Comment

Working...
              X