Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Shelley, mystery man.

Hi
    I have just started doing a tree for my daughter in law & have already hit my first hurdle. Her gr gr grandfather was James Shelley who according to the 1881 census was born c1854 at Shotley in Suffolk.
    He married Charlotte Ann Wood (born c1856 at Goldhanger,Essex) at Bethnal Green in 1879 & was living in East Ham in 1881.
    In 1891 James mistranscribed as Skelly born c1855 Shirley, Suffolk living in Poplar.
    In 1901 James mistranscribed as Sheely born c1854 Shorley, Suffolk living in Poplar.
    James died in 1903 at Poplar.
    I just can't find him in 1861 & 1871.
    There are 4 public member trees on Ancestry which include James Shelley.
    2 just give his father as James & Charlotte's as William, no doubt from the marriage certificate & the other 2 trees have attached him to an Essex family of Shelleys born in the Rochford area of Essex. I can't find any link between James & the Essex ones but perhaps I am missing something.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks Moggie

He married Charlotte Ann Wood (born c1856 at Goldhanger,Essex) at Bethnal Green in 1879 & was living in East Ham in 1881.
    What's is is father's name according to the marriage record?
    There's an 1871 family headed up by a William here: Old Road, Pattiswick (Braintree) RG10/1701 fo 125 p 3

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine
      I don't have the marriage cert but I presume one of the people who has a tree on Ancestry does have the cert as they give the date of the marriage & the name of the church in Bethnal Green where the marriage took place and according to them James Shelley's father was also a James Shelley.
      Thanks Moggie

Comment

The marriage is on Ancestry and James Shelley labourer is his father.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy
          Thanks for that. I had looked but hadn't found it. Charlotte's name has been transcribed as Ward. Do you think her surname is Wood or Ward? Can anybody read the names of the witnesses please.
          Moggie

Comment

How definite is it that the father, James (senr), was there at the wedding?

I was trying to find the family in 1861 (a census for which there are missing Pieces, of course), without success. It's not unknown for grooms (or brides) to make up the father's name, if they didn't have a known father. Grooms often named these phantom fathers after themselves.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I checked the whole of Shotley, Suffolk for 1871 and no Shelley names there at all.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                Hi Wendy
                Thanks for that. I had looked but hadn't found it. Charlotte's name has been transcribed as Ward. Do you think her surname is Wood or Ward? Can anybody read the names of the witnesses please.
                Moggie
                http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=2974849
                I can't view the link you sent as I don't have a sub for that. Can you put up an image?
                Margaret

Comment

FreeBMD have her name as Charlotte Ann Wood.

Comment

The 1881 record isn't a "mistranscription". The name has been recorded as SKELLY.

Christine

Comment

Hi Margaret
                      I did manage to put an image on here but it was so small nobody could read it. I am not sure how I can make it bigger.
                      Hi Susan
                      I also had Charlotte's surname as Wood but looking at the image on Ancestry it looks more like Ward.
                      I think the name of one of the witnesses is Jane Semmens which is interesting because one of James & Charlotte's sons was called Alfred Semmens Shelley but I can't seem to find where this name comes from. It appears to be a Cornish surname.
                      Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie,

The writing on the marriage cert found on Ancestry is appalling, isn't it? It could be either Ward or Wood. The witnesses names look like Jane Semmens and Harriet Mary Ann Gowers.

I would think Jane Semmens must be related as James has a son named Alfred Semmens Shelley. There are a few Semmens on the Suffolk/Norfolk censuses.

Comment

The registration district for Goldhanger was Maldon. There is a birth which fits. Charlotte Ann Wood, Jun qrt 1856, Maldon, 4a/186. I cannot find a birth record for Charlotte Ann Ward in Maldon 1854 - 1857

Comment

HI I too am interested in James Shelley. Has any one managed to get any further with him or locating him on any of the earlier censuses ?

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                              Hi Wendy
                              Moggie
                              http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=2974849
                              looking at the image the name does look like WARD at a first glance, BUT when you look closer at the formation of the letters you can see that an 'a' in other parts of the register, 'flicks' from the bottom of the 'a', however, when you look at the name WARD it doesnt and follows the line of an 'o' as the 'flick' is at the top.

as for the witness' it looks like, Harriet Mary Ann GOWERS and Jane SEMMENS

Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Stepweazel
                                I haven't managed to go any further back with James Shelley although there is a tree on Ancestry giving his parents as James Shelley & Susannah Outen with a marriage for them in 1840 at Canewdon. In 1851 they are in the workhouse at Rochford with 3 children but of course this was before James junior was born. If you have a sub to Ancestry this is the link.

James senior has one son with him in 1861, he says he is married not widowed but I can't find his wife Susan/Susannah.
                                I have made some progress with Charlotte's family, coming to the conclusion that her surname when she married was Wood & not Ward. The name of the witness Jane Semmens was a great help as this led me to find that Charlotte's mother's name was Semmens before she married William Wood.
                                Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                X