catherine matheson in scots census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catherine matheson in scots census

im trying to work on the scots ancestors of myself and my cousins other side of the family, but it is difficult finding them in census records, and i cant justify a sub to ancestry purely for the scots census when i have one for findmypast!!

i have my aunt catherine matheson (1826-1900, both in applecross, ross) marrying alexander mcdonald in 1849, applecross.

alexander was a shipowner on catherines death cert, and the births of daughters mary anne in 1857 and betsy in 1862, both applecross.

i have her in 1841, with her family. i have found them in 1851, but it was a little confusing. they are with alexanders parents murdoch a farmer and janet mcdonald, both in early 70's. alexander is a farmers son, and sumthing else, i cant read it. catherine has a daughter janet, age 10 mths, but i cant locate a birth. also in the household is catherine's sister rebecca, listed as visitor. which clinched it for me, as i didnt have her previously.

i may have her in 1861, but am unsure. there is no husband, but catherine is 34, a crofters wife and marr. everyone is born in applecross. daughters: jessie (janet?) 10, sophia 6, mary anne 3, and widowed mother in law jessie (janet?) 80.

im having touble finding catherine after this, is anyone able to look round on ancestry for transcripts?

There are a couple of possibles:

1881 census
    Parish: Cambuslang; ED: 4; Page: 18; Line: 14; Roll: cssct1881_206; Year: 1881.
    Household:
    Duncan Dewar 40
    Annie Dewar 37
    Jane B Dewar 16
    David D Dewar 13
    Mc Glashow Dewar 9
    Agnes D Dewar 8
    Donald A Dewar 6
    Lily Amelia Dewar 6
    Christina Dewar 5
    Jessy F Dewar 3
    Duncan Dewar 11. MO
    John A Dewar 11. MO
    Catherine McDonald born 1828 Applecross, Rosshire - occupation Cook (Domestic servant) - visitor

1891 census - age a bit out on this one - plus the addition of a daughter Betsey???
    Parish: Applecross; ED: 3; Page: 7; Line: 6; Roll: CSSCT1891_16; Year: 1891.
    Household:
    Cathrne McDonald born 1823 Applecross Ross Shire - occ. retired Crofter
    Betsy McDonald born c 1864 - Applecross - daughter - occ. dom.servant
    address: Miltton Gardens. Applecross
    Elaine

Comment

hi elaine, that does look like her in 1891. and betsy was born 1862, so that fits. plus catherine's occupation is ex crofter, so the 1861 seems right. im not 100% on the 1881, it could be here i guess, if her marital status was listed.

the problem with the searches on scotlandspeopple i find, is that its simply not detailed enough. there is usually just one or two catherines in the right age range, and sometimes i dont pick the right one! i wish they would add some extra information, so we can tell! but i suspect that its part of the plan.

Comment

What about this one in 1871 for Betsy and Maryann - seems to fit with what you already have.

Household
        Kel Macdonald b1831 Kishorn Rosshire - female - head - no occupation given
        Maryann Macdonald b1857 Applecross - scholar
        Betsy Macdonald b1863 - Applecross - scholar
        Janet Macdonald c1835 Applecross - wife
        Catherine Macdonald b1840 Applecross - general servant

Parish: Applecross; ED: 2; Page: 2; Line: 4; Roll: CSSCT1871_11; Year: 1871.

address: Private house, Applecross.
        Elaine

Comment

hi elaine, i had that image for 1871, and have misplaced it. that was the catherine i 'picked' for 1871, and it wasnt her, but her kids were on that page? i have no idea who kel mcdonald is?

Comment

Working...
          X