Marrried twice! Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrried twice! Why?

Can anyone suggest what this couple were playing at?

19 Aug 1774 John Covell marries Sarah Wood at St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey
    17 November 1774 John Covell marries Sarah Bevois Wood at St Mary Rotherhithe.

Both marriages were by licence, not banns.

I think these have to be the same couple: John Covell was a sail-maker at Rotherhithe and there are a couple of notices about him in the London Gazette.

I can't find a baptism record for Sarah BEVOIS Wood anywhere. Is it likely they had to go through the marriage ceremony a second time because the first time missed out her middle name? Surely the vicar would just have made an amendment in the register? It shouldn't have been necessary to marry again in a different church.

I'm confused!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Maybe there was a problem with the first licence?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
      Maybe there was a problem with the first licence?
      Would that have invalidated the marriage?
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

I've got a couple who married twice within the space of a few months, they married by licence the first time and the bride was a minor, she was of full age and it was by banns the second.

Comment

I can only find one marriage licence, on the London Signatures site, which is dated October 1774. So I wonder if John told porkies about having a licence for the first wedding and, when it was discovered that he didn't have one, he had to get a licence and then marry Sarah again. Hmmm....

Comment

You don't have to give your middle name on marriage. Maybe they had 2 marriages to satisfy two different sets of parents, as they married in two different churches. The middle name or lack of it would not invalidate the marriage. I've got scores of examples of folk who married without giving their full names, or who invented middle names.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What is your source for the dates of the marriages?

St Mary Rotherhithe is an interesting church in as much as it was the sailor's church (sailmaker?) AND you could get married there without too many questions being asked, if you were related.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                What is your source for the dates of the marriages?

St Mary Rotherhithe is an interesting church in as much as it was the sailor's church (sailmaker?) AND you could get married there without too many questions being asked, if you were related.

OC
                I've obtained images of the marriage registers from Ancestry. Interesting about St Mary Rotherhithe being the sailor's church. One of John's brothers was a pilot.

Comment

Working...
                X