Can you find them in 1841?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find them in 1841?

I have yet to find these two in 1841... is someone able to find them please?

Henry Guilford - born 1817 Brighton(or Brighthelmston), Sussex. Son of William Guilford (decd 1820) & Elizabeth. Henry joined the railway in Dec. 1840.

Eliza Simmons - born 1824 Twineham, Sussex. Daughter of Henry Simmons & Jane.

Henry & Eliza married on 24th Sept 1842 at St Nicholas Church, Brighton. On the marriage cert they were both living in Wood Street, Brighton, which was near to the station.

Thanks for your help.

You may want to look at this one. Its transcribed on Ancestry as Henry Guilfld. HO 107, piece 1645, folio 924, page 18

His occupation is given as police officer which doesn't tally with what you've said, but I think the address might be Wood St although I'm having trouble reading the first letter. There is another person on that page, Thomas Alderton, who is living in Wood St in 1851
    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
      You may want to look at this one. Its transcribed on Ancestry as Henry Guilfld. HO 107, piece 1645, folio 924, page 18

Snip>

His occupation is given as police officer which doesn't tally with what you've said, but I think the address might be Wood St although I'm having trouble reading the first letter. There is another person on that page, Thomas Alderton, who is living in Wood St in 1851
      Seems it could be Hood St. And the name actually does look like GUILFLD.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's an Eliza SIMMONS, 23 (b in County), F.S., in St John's Cottage: HO107/1111/11 fo 26 p 9

You'd need to make sure she doesn't appear anywhere inconsistent to be sure if she's yours or not.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think that is him, Jackie, because he described himself as a railway policeman on his marriage certificate living in Wood St. Many thanks for finding him, I've been looking for years, trying all different spellings

Thank you for locating Eliza, Elizabeth, I'll have a look at that image

... Another brick wall demolished by the members of Family Tree Forum!

Comment

Wood Street was close to the station and was demolished in the 1960s, the James Gray Collection mentions it

and there are some other photos of the general area before demolition, there's a search box on this page

Comment

Thanks for that Jill. I've previously found a photo on the My Brighton & Hove site prior to demolition. It's sad that where they lived is now a car park, but the properties were getting quite dilapidated at that time.

I'm presently accessing the internet via a dongle and it just can't seem to cope with Ancestry right now. I'll be back home tomorrow, when I'll have a closer look at these census images

Comment

Working...
              X