No announcement yet.

He married the same person twice - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He married the same person twice - why?

I have two unique certificates for marriage of my great grandparents but as they didn't divorce cannot understand why. The names & residence are correct, as are the Fathers names and professions.
    1st: 21 March 1887 in Fareham Parish Church - Certificate declares that he was bachelor aged 31 in Royal Marine Light Infantry & she was spinster aged 28. Signed by the vicar. Witnessed by siblings
    2nd: 20 October 1889 in Portsea Island Registry Office - Certificate declares that he was bachelor aged 33 employed as Private in RMLI & she was spinster aged 30. Signed by both Registrar & the Superintendent Registrar. Witnessed by siblings (different to Cert 1)
    I note on the second one that it says " Married in the Register Office by Certificate before me".
    Can anyone throw any light on why they appear to have married twice?
    Thanks in anticipation

He married twice because he did not have permission the first time and therefore the army did not recognise the marriage - if he had admitted the first marriage, he would have incurred military punishment.

OC

Comment

Yes, I agree with OC. I have an example of this on my tree.
      If your marriage was not recognised, your "wife" & "children" were not considered to be dependents.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thats right, I believe its still the case today that if you are in the forces you have to get permission to marry from the 'powers that be', otherwise in the likelihood of the spouses death the wife/children would not get any pension. My own grt x2 grandfather married his wife twice as well though I knew nothing of this first marriage! it never occured to me to even look!! though now I do have both certs from that marriage and can say that it was the same couple.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

what would happen if they found out the man married a woman who's husband was still alive ??? and claimed for two children that weren't his ????????????????? but his Wifes from her Marriage ???
          My Great Uncle has got on his 1st World War Records a marriage to a lady who was still married and two of her children which I suspect were his too but have her legal Husbands Surname?????????????????

Comment

Court martial if they found out, Val and probably dismissed the service for fraud.

OC

Comment

I suppose they wouldn't have bothered to find out if the real Father had died ? my great Uncle even forged his Wife's Husband name on the 1911 census ??? and is pretending to be him as head of House ?? Love to know what he was up to ???

Comment

:oThanks everyone, I think the weight of opinion is firmly on the side of the Services having to grant permission for marriage and that my grandfather evidently didn't, the first time anyway. I suppose I should have known having myself served 28 years in the Royal Navy, but the practice of seeking permission no longer applies and I suspect went out of regulations in the late 60s early 70s.

Comment

Working...
                X