Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would somebody get Baptised at 17 years of age ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would somebody get Baptised at 17 years of age ??

I have a girl getting baptised at 17 years of age ? any ideas why so late ?

Because her parents neglected to do it? Because she was raised as a non-conformist or Catholic? Because she didn't have any proof she'd been baptised?

My gt x 3 grandmother Hannah Matthews got baptised the same day as her second son Emmets (my gt x 2 grandfather) was baptised, although she'd married in the church and already had a son baptised there. What was that about??
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Val,

Possible reasons:

1) Either she or her parents had a religious conversion
      2) She was about to marry and the vicar wanted proof of baptism
      3) She was about to marry a waterman or a guild member whose code required proof of baptism
      4) Her parents were doing a job-lot of baptisms

Peter

Comment

thanks for the replies ,looking now two of the girls were baptised same day one aged 16 one aged 17 ,

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          Because her parents neglected to do it? Because she was raised as a non-conformist or Catholic? Because she didn't have any proof she'd been baptised?

My gt x 3 grandmother Hannah Matthews got baptised the same day as her second son Emmets (my gt x 2 grandfather) was baptised, although she'd married in the church and already had a son baptised there. What was that about??

Let me know when you find out, Nell........I've got one the same. Brought up non-con, married a C of E (family full of C of E ministers) and has three kids (all baptised C of E) before she finally takes the plunge. Has another three kids and divorces............lol

Comment

My Mom was illegitimate born 1915.......... In 1926 she was 'conditionally' baptised (C of E).......... Has anyone any idea why it was conditional ?

Nina

Comment

Most religions accept a person may only be baptised once.
              A conditional baptism is used where it is not known if the person being baptised has been baptised before.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                Most religions accept a person may only be baptised once.
                A conditional baptism is used where it is not known if the person being baptised has been baptised before.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Thank you Guy
                Nina

Comment

We never got round to baptising our daughter, she was baptised a few weeks before her wedding in 2000 at the age of 24
                  L

Comment

I noticed in the Swansea Archives a baptism of a jewish name later when searching the marriage records I saw that he married a local girl.
                    When I married the vicar did ask if I had been baptised, I asked why and he replied that he could not go ahead with the marriage unless I had been .

Comment

One of mine was bp for the second time at the age of 14/15.
                      She was in domestic service, in the employ of a staunch C of E family - have often wondered if being bp and following the faith was an expectation of the job.
                      By then, she was parentless & although she & her siblings had all been bp as infants, the parents had travelled widely, with each child having been born & baptised in different counties. As there would have been no record in the local church, perhaps it was a case of better safe than sorry.
                      (Didn't seem to have done her much good - from what I can make out, she seems to have developed into a bit of a lass!!!!)

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, I am sure many employers wanted evidence of a Christian baptism in those days when such things mattered. No respectable family would want a heathen in their midst!

Most apprenticeships, certainly in earlier times, required evidence of baptism.

OC

Comment

I can understand the logic of some employers wanting you baptised, but in 1911 one of the girls is a Clerk the other a Cashier and their Brother who is with them is a Bank Clerk so surely he would have had to be Baptised too ??? but I cannot find a Baptism for him ??
                          unless I have missed something
                          If anybody has a free moment or two would appreciate a spare pair of eyes
                          Ernest Alfred (Jahn) sometimes called John Born 28 Jan 1892 ,33 Great Windmill Street Westminster .
                          Parents Ernst Jahn and Elizabeth Mary Jahn

Comment

I've got a family of 8 siblings in Cornwall. The four eldest were all baptised within a few weeks of birth and then done all together in a job lot in 1863 when the eldest was 9. No idea why. Even more curious, the next baby to arrive doesn't appear to have been baptised at all, then the last 3 were all done individually following their births.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I never found an infant bp for my maternal grandfather, although all his siblings were baptised in the parish church shortly after birth.
                              My Mum remembered her father being confirmed when he was middle aged - she said there was a fuss about whether or not he'd been christened, so he was bp the week before confirmation. Sure enough, a look at the bp reg confirmed this.
                              Looking at the history of the village, around the time of grandad's birth there was a rapid succession of rectors who were only in office for a short time, so perhaps that's how he was omitted??? (Certainly one or two were unpopular and quarrelled with parishioners!)

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Not everyone is baptised.
                                In my own family my brother and my sister were baptised as infants my sister even had a silver baptism bowl but I was never baptised. When my sister was confirmed as a teenager there was talk of having me baptised but it never happened.
                                Perhaps I'll get round to it one day.
                                Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

my kids have not been done either ,we applied to get them done together where we had got married and the Vicar refused as we did not attend Church regularily so much for forgiveness???????????????? so we never got around to getting them done .

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                    I've got a family of 8 siblings in Cornwall. The four eldest were all baptised within a few weeks of birth and then done all together in a job lot in 1863 when the eldest was 9. No idea why. Even more curious, the next baby to arrive doesn't appear to have been baptised at all, then the last 3 were all done individually following their births.
                                    Little Nell, I am researching some of my ancestors in Cornwall. Which area were yours from ?

Nina

Comment

My son was Baptized at 21 years of age as the family started argueing about it when he was a baby so I cancelled it, he had a priest friend who found out he hadn't been baptized so performed the cerimony at this late age for us.

Comment

I was baptised at the age of 10. We only baptise those old enough to choose, and we baptise by emersion. Parents can. if they wish. have a 'dedication' service in which they agree to teach the child or baby about the Bible and how to make a committment as a Christian. Two of my great nephews were baptised recently on the same day, and at their own request.

I hope that this is of help

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X