Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help?

Hi to you all.
    My name is Brenda and i have been researching my family tree(Bickers) for the past six years now but have hit a brick wall and need help to move on. I live in Portsmouth but my Bickers family lived in Suffolk and so find it difficult to gather further information.
    My problem is trying to find the right father for my ggggrandfather Charles Bickers b1814 in Theberton Suffolk. Charles married Sarah Rooke in Middleton Suffolk on 4th march 1838,and on the marriage certificate states that his father was Thomas Bicker.
    I have looked in the IGI Index and found that Charles parents were Thomsas Bicker and Mary ann Clarke, unfortunatley it does not give me any more details about them.
    I need to find out which Thomas this was as there seems to be a couple of possibilities.
    Who do i contact and where do i go for a possible lookup?
    Is the IGI Index a reliable source?
    Can anyone suggest what my next move should be?
    This my first time on this site so please forgive me if i seem a little vague.
    Brenda

Hello Brenda,

I am going to move this thread over to the Research Q&As forum where our members will offer to help. Welcome to the forum as well
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie
      Thanks so much,it's just taken me a few mins to find out how to read you reply,hope i get the hang of this.Brenda

Comment

There's a tree on Ancestry with this family. Unless it's yours.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The record of baptism you have found is an extracted one so it's possible there is a bit more information to be had if Thomas's occupation was added to the record and hopefully it matches with the marriage record info.
          You can view these records on microfilm at a local Family History Centre which you can find on the family search.org site. You need a note of the reference number so they can order it in and then they will let you know when you can view it. You might also find siblings of Charles when trawling through.
          Margaret

Comment

From the Suffolk Marriage Index

Thomas Bicker
            Mary Ann Clarke
            both single and of the parish

2nd February, 1813
            Theberton

Comment

Hi Wendy
              thanks for you reply. This tree on ancestry is not mine but all the information on it is taken from mine,but i am having second thoughts about whether i have given out the wrong information.
              Brenda

Comment

Hi Margaret,
                thanks for the info.Sorry to be a pain but where would i find the reference number,is it one of those at the bottom of the igi index sheet i printed out? they have a batch No. source call No. and a printout call No.Thanks Brenda

Comment

Hi Sue
                  Thanks for the info, i do have Thomas and Mary down as the parents of Charles,my problem is that this Thomas was born in 1789 in Heaveningham and married a Mary clarke and there is another Thomas who was born in Laxfield in 1785 who married a Mary ?...
                  Think i will have to try a little harder to decipher which one is which.
                  Brenda

Comment

Yes, it is the film number. If you contact the Family History Centre they will tell you what they need.
                    It's always worth looking at the original records if you can.
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Yes, it is the film number. If you contact the Family History Centre they will tell you what they need.
                      It's always worth looking at the original records if you can.
                      Margaret
                      Thanks Margaret,Sorry for my ignorance this sort of thing terrifies me, i don't have a clue what i'm doing. Brenda

Comment

Originally posted by brendabickers65 View Post
                        Thanks Margaret,Sorry for my ignorance this sort of thing terrifies me, i don't have a clue what i'm doing. Brenda
                        Neither did I when I first went to one of the centres, but the staff are exceptionally helpful so I'm sure you will get on OK.
                        Margaret

Comment

I have searched for your local FHS centre and here are the details. You can now order films online but instructions have changed recently so it would be best to phone them during session times first. They will guide you through the ordering process and let you know their specific process for making an appointment to view the film. When looking at the film details, make a note of the item number as this will help in finding the section on the film that you are interested in. As mentioned before, the staff are usually very helpful.

Family History Centers in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England [refine search]

Portsmouth England
                          Kingston Crescent
                          Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
                          Phone: 44 (0) 239-269 6243
                          Hours: M 10am-2pm; T 10am-1pm, W 10am-2pmTh 10am-1pm; F 6.30pm-9pm; Sat 9.30am-12.30pm
                          Closed: Christmas Holiday (December 20 - January 3)
                          Attention: Centre staffed by volunteers so please phone for an appointment or book an appointment online at http://fhc.calendarspots.com
                          Note: These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.

Comment

Thank you so much Pat,
                            what a wonderful site,everybody is so helpful.
                            Now having the info i needed to get me going my first port of call after the hilodays will be the FHS.
                            M New Years resolution will be to keep plugging away until i find the answeres i need.
                            Thans everyone for your help and a happy xmas to you all.
                            Brenda

Comment

sorry about my spelling mistakes,got a lazy finger.lol

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                Neither did I when I first went to one of the centres, but the staff are exceptionally helpful so I'm sure you will get on OK.
                                Margaret
                                Thanks Margaret...I always need a little kick up the you know what to get me going,sure i'll be fine.
                                Brenda

Comment

A point to remember, the Family History Centre do charge for the hiring of films..... I think it is about £7.50. BUT, the film will be available to you for a period of 3months - a boon if you have several ancestors to find !

Nina

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                                    A point to remember, the Family History Centre do charge for the hiring of films..... I think it is about £7.50. BUT, the film will be available to you for a period of 3months - a boon if you have several ancestors to find !

Nina
                                    Hi Nina
                                    thanks for that,at the moment i would pay anything to find what i need.
                                    I have Bickers data that goes back to the 1500s but just need to make that connection,i know it is there.
                                    Brenda

Comment

Originally posted by brendabickers65 View Post
                                      Hi to you all.

My problem is trying to find the right father for my ggggrandfather Charles Bickers b1814 in Theberton Suffolk. Charles married Sarah Rooke in Middleton Suffolk on 4th march 1838,and on the marriage certificate states that his father was Thomas Bicker.
                                      I have looked in the IGI Index and found that Charles parents were Thomsas Bicker and Mary ann Clarke, unfortunatley it does not give me any more details about them.

Brenda

There is a Thomas and Mary Ann Clarke who married at Theberton Suffolk in 1813. Are they yours ?

Nina

Comment

What is the occupation of Thomas Bickers on Charles and Sarah's marriage certificate?

Who were the witnesses?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                                        X