Eyes for 17th century burial please on ancestry LMA registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes for 17th century burial please on ancestry LMA registers

Found what I believe is my ancestor Francis Coleman's burial at St Dunstans on the 22/12/1674 Francis Coleman of Ratcliffe a Chandler. Can anyone read the two words (second looks like an abbreviation) between Coleman and Chandler please? There appears to be the same two words for a burial of a chap a bit further up the page on the 18th December which is a bit clearer but Im not sure about what I think it is.

Going by the one above, could it be "servant to Mr Chandler"?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gill, but Chandler is his occupation. I did think the first word looked like servant but the second one is some sort of abbreviation.

Comment

Possibly an abbreviation for domicile? Or domestic?

Comment

Thanks but its looks like it starts with an s doesnt it?

Comment

Suspected that might be the case Heather. Some of those old abbreviations are dreadful to work out even when written fairly clearly. I'd have struggled with several of my Deptford ones if I hadn't already known the word was supposed to be an abbreviation of shipwright.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Yes, Ive a lot of Deptford ones too I used to get confused by the abbreviation for the Royal Dock Yards.

Comment

I agree with Just Gillian.
                After blowing up the image I think it says 'servant to master Chandler.

Makes sense if you read the other entries, unless you know your chap was definitely a chandler by trade.
                Last edited by Guest; 22-12-10, 02:15. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                  After blowing up the image I think it says 'servant to master Chandler.
                  Or Mr! Further down the page on the 28th are the same words.

Comment

Well, Im just not sure about it at all. The Colemans were a wealthy bunch of people, related to aristos, so may be this is the wrong guy after all. Thanks for helping everyone

Comment

I don't think working for Mr. Chandler was a very healthy occupation, was it?!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X