• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this just a coincidence?

looking for this couple here they are in 1841

William HANSFORD born abt 1790 in Westminster occupation Carpenter
    wife
    Dorothy HANSFORD born abt 1796 Devon occupation Laundress ,living in St John the Evangelist

cannot find in 1851 but

William EVANS born abt 1792 St Johns Westminster a Carpenter
    Dorothy EVANS born abt 1794 Stockton Durham ??? a Laundress living in St John The Evangelist ????

Thanks

Val, have you found William and Dorothy Hansford in 1861?
    Elaine

Comment

I can't see the Hansfords in 1851 and cannot see the Evans family in 1841.
      Elaine

Comment

I hadnt looked to see where the Evans were in 1841 ?? seems too much of a coincidence doesn't it ? there cant have been many Dorothy's with a William a Carpenter ???

Comment

For interest: - Dorothy's birthplace wrongly transcribed - should be BROADHEMBURY, Devon

Nina

Comment

is that right Nina ?? thanks very much for that I'm not good on place names

Comment

Here is son Alfred in 1851 -

HO107; Piece: 1479; Folio: 358; Page: 19; GSU roll: 87802-87803.

and here is son Harry (Henry) in 1851 -
              HO107; Piece: 1479; Folio: 277; Page: 33; GSU roll: 87802-87803.

Both born in Devon as was Dorothy. Haven't found Richard b. 1833 yet.

Comment

Val, yes it is correct, Broadhembury, Honiton, also, you will see on the 1851 that Harry gives birthplace as Honiton........ Wonder where William was born. Have you any idea where or when William and Dorothy married (that is if they did !).

Comment

Wonder how they met ? and if William was born Westminster, why did he 'up sticks' and end up in Devon, marry Dorothy, have a couple of kids down here and then move back up London way ?

Comment

maybe it was work? my twyfords married in lancashire in the 1780's, then appear in westminster around 1790 having kids. then by 1792, its back to manchester until they died in the 1830's. he was a jeweller and watchmaker, a carpenter is something that could be done anywhere.

Comment

IAHS thanks very much , I dont know where they married and if ??? yet not long been looking into this side of my Husbands family .

Comment

Perhaps the person recording the info misheard or misread Evans for Hansford? I have a family called Emmons who became Emmins later on, but in 1841 they are recorded as Hammond.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell anything is possible I suppose ? they are mistranscribed as Funsfall in 1841 ?? I am more or less convinced now its them there is just too much of a coincidence especially with the wife being a Dorothy .

Comment

they do look like the right family val. my morton 3rd greats are recorded as marshall in the 1901. they were from sussex and london, but moved to yorkshire, so i think the accents may have had something to do with it. mayb the person giving the info had an accent, or didnt speak clearly.

Comment

Hi,

Maybe you have these records, but incase not here you are. From the Beta site.

Matilda Handsford, bap. date: 30 Aug 1818, Honiton on Otter Devon, parents: William and Dorothy, died 21 Jan 1819
                              Henry Handsford, bap. date: 09 Feb 1827, Honiton on Otter, parents: William and Dorothy
                              Alfred Ansford [sic] bap. 12 Feb 1824, Honiton on Otter, parents: William and Dorothy

Comment

Throwing this into the pot, though it doesn't seem very likely but maybe worth checking out.

Marriage 31 Aug 1829, Wareham, Dorset, William Handsford/Dorothy Selby.

Comment

Kyle thanks for looking I have decided to claim them ! and Susan wow that Alfred I have down as born in 1829 so wasnt too sure about the william and Dorothy marriage as its after his birth ? but maybe the first wife died??? Thanks very much will certainly look at this .

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                                    Hi,

Maybe you have these records, but incase not here you are. From the Beta site.

Matilda Handsford, bap. date: 30 Aug 1818, Honiton on Otter Devon, parents: William and Dorothy, died 21 Jan 1819
                                    Henry Handsford, bap. date: 09 Feb 1827, Honiton on Otter, parents: William and Dorothy
                                    Alfred Ansford [sic] bap. 12 Feb 1824, Honiton on Otter, parents: William and Dorothy
                                    I would go for this family Val. Dorothy was born in Broadhembury (Honiton on Otter) and the Alfred and Henry(Harry) born Honiton that I found on the 1851 match with the births that Susan found.

Susan, did you come across a Richard b abt. 1833 ?

Nina

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                                      Throwing this into the pot, though it doesn't seem very likely but maybe worth checking out.

Marriage 31 Aug 1829, Wareham, Dorset, William Handsford/Dorothy Selby.
                                      Interesting .......

In 1841 there is a Richard Seares Hansford age 2 at the Liberty of Powerstock, Dorset .

Forget this, father is John and he is a dairyman.
                                      Last edited by Inahaystack; 23-12-10, 01:54. Reason: Correction

Comment

Working...
                                      X