New Zealand records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand records

At long last I have discovered that one of my "missing" families emigrated to New Zealand in 1872.On the government website I have found lots of BMD's but frustratingly there are no registration districts given for any of them.I have ordered a print out for one of them but I don't know if it will arrive before I leave in 3 weeks time for New Zealand!!
    I would love to try and find out where they lived before I go but I cannot find any parish or
    census records online at all.
    Has anyone got any ideas please?

Jan

Hi Jan
    Don't know of any parish records on-line, but I know DUNEDIN has cemetery records on-line, and it seems the main towns have therirs online too - CHristchurch, Auckland, Wellington.

NZ has some old newspapers online at Paperspast. Even a small mention might help with the region the paper covers.
    You could also check the Australian newspapers online at Trove, because quite a lot of NZ news was reported in Australia.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

As Di says, Paperspast is probably your best bet, but you could also try the NZ archives, where you may find a mention of probate or other transactions.

There's a guide to NZ research here, written by one of our members:

Comment

Did it tell where the ship arrived..sometimes people stayed in the same region.

Comment

JLB, you might try posting their names here, so we can all have a go

Comment

Thank you for the replies.Sarah Victoria Manning and her 2 children Louise and Percy George arrived at Otago in Jan1873.I imagine that her husband George Clarke Manning had gone out before her.
            I found a report of Percy George's wedding in paperspast but I wasn't sure that it was him,but I have now found his burial at Purewa cemetery outside Auckland which helpfully states that he was born in London so it definately is.
            Having worked my way through through most of the cemeteries I finally found George and Sarah buried at Waikumete cemetery also outside of Auckland.George was buried on the day he died in 1898 which seems unusual.I wonder if I emailed the cemetery would they be able to tell me whether there is a headstone or not.
            I also found Percy George's army record at Wellington (on Archway) but I am a bit confused as to how one can access it.

Comment

Working...
            X