Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Hayward place of birth??

Hi all,

Could anyone please confirm the place of birth for George John Hayward b.abt 1885. George & Caroline Ruth Plant (b.abt 1883 in Kettering I think) were married in Kettering Northants in 1908. I'm pretty sure they were living in Kettering in 1911. (I'm thinking he was born in Staffordshire but I'm not sure) Thank you

Last edited by jadzia; 16-12-10, 10:01. Reason: Added a bit
    Ness

Doing a free search of the 1911 census, it shows that George John Hayward was born c1884 in Longton, Staffordshire.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Doing a free search of the 1911 census, it shows that George John Hayward was born c1884 in Longton, Staffordshire.
      Thank you Elaine that's where I hoped it was. I didn't realise you could do a free search of the 1911 census....what site is that on please?

Ness

Comment

That's something I didn't know Elaine. Can you tell me please how you can find an exact birthplace from a free search.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It really depends how common or uncommon the combination of names are - so I'll explain how I did this one!

The first thing to do is to go the the 1911 census site
          Click on the SEARCH button to go to the full search page
          First name: George
          Last name: Hayward
          Year of birth: 1885 +/- 3 years

Other members in household:
          First name: Caroline

This gives us two entries, one of which is George John Hayward, b1885 living in Kettering ... so looking good!

Do the same using Caroline with a George John in the household - and you will see that you get a Caroline Ruth Hayward b1883, living in Kettering.

Then go to Genes Reunited - you do not need a subscription to do this.
          Click on search records - 1911 census.
          You can then enter what you have found on the 1911 census,
          e.g. George John Hayward born 1885 - and add Kettering as the keyword.
          This search then shows you George's place of birth.

All free!!

I have found that the 1911 census often contains a middle name, which does help a lot with the searching, as it did in this case. Obviously the more common the name then the harder it is to find anything out using a combination of these two sites.
          Elaine

Comment

Oh wow - thank you Elaine Wish I had known that before

Comment

Also, using the 1911 census you can sometimes find other people in the same household. Again in depends on how common the names are.

In this case just enter:
              Last name: Hayward
              Residential place: Kettering

Other members in the household
              First name: Caroline Ruth

The results give you two other people with the surname Hayward, living in the same house as Caroline Ruth.
              George John Hayward who we already know about, but also Phyllis Essie Hayward born 1910. Genes Reunited shows her place of birth as Kettering.
              Elaine

Comment

I knew about finding the other people but the facility to cross reference for birth place on GR is brilliant. I hope they don't twig you can do that
                As you say though, not so easy with more common names.

Comment

Wow that's amazing thank you.....that will definately help me move things along ;D
                  Ness

Comment

Working...
                  X