Souter family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souter family

Looking for the family of Caroline Batley born Bury St Edmunds 1827,1841 census has her age 24 living with Elizabeth Batley age 55 living in Almshouse Bury St Edmunds.1851 a James Batley Chelse Pensioner living with her and husband John Souter.:( Got stuck

What reference have you got for the 1841 census you found for Caroline? If she was 24 in 1841 then her year of birth is 1817 not 1827.
    Margaret

Comment

This is the household in 1851

Name Age
      John Souter head 25
      Caroline Souter wife 24
      James Souter son 4
      John Souter son 2
      James Batley widower lodger 68

I guess James is her father. I'll se if I can find him in 1841.
      Margaret

Comment

Found the 1841 but Caroline is shown with a family named Smith and Elizabeth is with another family HO107; Piece 1042; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St James; County: Suffolk; Enumeration District: 15; Folio: 30; Page: 9;
        Margaret

Comment

Here's the marriage record
          Caroline Battley
          Year of Registration: 1848 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Bury St Edmunds
          Volume: 13 Page: 618
          Note the mis-spelling of her name - I found this by searching on John Souter.
          Margaret

Comment

Here's John and Caroline in 1871 RG10; Piece: 892; Folio: 15; Page: 21; moved to Gravesend Kent.
            Someone else on ancestry is researching the Souter family - is that you?
            Margaret

Comment

Here's Caroline's death note the different name spelling
              Caroline Sowter
              Estimated birth year: abt 1825
              Year of Registration: 1883
              Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Age at Death: 58 District: Gravesend (1837-1941)
              County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 288

Comment

Thanks Margaret ,yes it is me who has put the info there,Do know that the Souters who went to Gravesend, where I come from changed names to Sowter at Marriage and Death,Did have Battley on my tree ,but believe it to be more Batley John

Comment

Sorry Margaret Carolines age was 14 in 1841, and probably she was working their,what I was wondering if Elizabeth was her mother John. Hav,nt found and trees with a James and Elizabeth.But many thanks

Comment

I don't suppose they actually change their names, rather the person writing it down for them didn't know how to spell it and maybe the people themselves couldn't read or write - this was often the case.
                    Found this baptism
                    Caroline Batley
                    baptism/christening date: 10 May 1826
                    baptism/christening place: Saint James Bury Saint Edmunds, Suffolk, England
                    father's name: James Batley
                    mother's name: Sarah Smith
                    indexing project (batch) number: C01981-8
                    system origin: England-EASy
                    source film number: 989541

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Found the 1841 but Caroline is shown with a family named Smith and Elizabeth is with another family HO107; Piece 1042; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St James; County: Suffolk; Enumeration District: 15; Folio: 30; Page: 9;
                      Margaret
                      If the baptism record is your Caroline it looks like the Smiths might be relatives with Caroline.
                      Margaret

Comment

Here's the marriage for James and Sarah

James Battley

bride's name: Sarah Smith
                        marriage date: 25 Aug 1823
                        marriage place: St James,Bury Saint Edmunds,Suffolk,England
                        indexing project (batch) number: M13234-1
                        system origin: England-ODM
                        source film number: 989535

Not much help as no names for their fathers but maybe you could look at the original parish register and that might have more on it.
                        Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,thanks again,Yes I do unstand not being able to spell,But with one brother tying to commit murder and then suicide, and another transported to Aus maybe they wanted to. Your a star, John

Comment

Hi Margaret,as you say,could be relative as the bride Caroline was a Smith .John

Comment

Working...
                            X