Ovenell family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovenell family

I am trying to find out what happened to Fred Ovenell. I have him in the 1901 census living with his "wife to be" and his marriage in 1901 to Annie Tyler (certificate in the LMA records on Ancestry).

1901 census
    John Tyler c1851 Bethnal Green, London Head Occ. Cabinet Maker
    Annie Tyler c 1882 Bethnal Green, London Daughter
    Alexander Tyler c 1887 Bethnal Green, London Son
    Frederick Ovenell c 1880 Oxfordshire Visitor Occ. Jeweller

139 Mansfield Street, Shoreditch, London
    RG13; Piece: 280; Folio: 150; Page: 83.

1 May 1901 – marriage of Fred Ovenell & Annie Tyler
    Fred Ovenell 21 Bachelor - Jeweller 139 Mansfield Road father: Harry Edgar Ovenell - Bicycle Maker
    Annie Tyler 19 Spinster 20 Ipswich Road father: John Tyler - Cabinet Maker

They have two children:
    Henry John Ovenell – born 14 Sept 1901 Wimbledon Surrey
    Violet Edna Ovenell – born 23 November 1903 – baptised 4 Sept 1905 (source Ancestry LMA Baptism records). I think the address for this, which is High Street Homerton, may be the Hackney Union Infirmary or Workhouse.

In the 1911 census Henry John Ovenell (age 9) is living with Herbert William Tyler and family in Barking, Essex. Herbert is Annie’s brother.

I cannot find Annie or Fred in the 1911 census and there is no trace of Violet Edna after her baptism in 1905.

The next time I can find Annie is when she has a child with Benjamin Charles Pryke in 1914, and then she marries Leonard Wareham in 1918.

There are some Army service records on Ancestry for Fred Ovenell - ignore them as it is not Fred ... long story!!!

Can anyone see Fred or Violet after 1905, and Annie between 1905 and 1914'ish.
    I've got a subscription to FMP and have tried searching the 1911 census for them, but not having much luck.
    Elaine

Oh heck, Elaine. If you can't find them what hope is there for us!!
    Had a quick look at the 1911 and couldn't see anything likely for Ovenell or Pryke surnames or searching just on first names.
    Margaret

Comment

Fred just seems to have done a disappearing act! I've checked the Irish 1911 census and passenger lists on FMP and Ancestry and nothing is jumping out at me.
      Elaine

Comment

Was just going to say had you checked the passenger lists but I see you have.

If you can't find them we've got no chance!

I had one the same Elaine, marries then has two children 1900 & 1902. The whole family are together on the 1911 census, he disappears & his widow remarries in 1919.

Very annoying when you loose someone!
        Jay

Comment

I see what you mean about the WW1 records!
          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
            I see what you mean about the WW1 records!
            An early case of identity theft! :D
            Elaine

Comment

Have tried freebmd (not got ancestry or FMP) nothing for Ovenell but there is a Violet E Avenell marrying in Dec Q 1926 to Mr Wadhams - just wondered if its a mistrascription?
              hope you find them.
              Angelina

Comment

Thanks Angelina - I'll have a look at that.
                Elaine

Comment

family search beta site has options for ovenell as avenell evenell ivenell and also with the last 'e' changed into an 'i' so its 'nill'. bet one turns up as 'ovenhill'!!!
                  Last edited by angelina; 10-12-10, 15:12. Reason: typo
                  Angelina

Comment

I think Violet died before Benjamin Charles Pryke enlisted in the army as Fred Ovenell. The children listed on the enlistment papers are Henry John Ovenell & BCP's 2 children. Not that I can find a death record to back that up but it would seem strange for her to still be alive at that point & not be included as a dependant.
                    Jay

Comment

Have you seen the tree on Ancestry that has Benjamin Charles Pryke (1914). That has his being born at 65 James Street St. Pancras London, trying to check this address in 1911 but I keep loosing my connection to FMP.
                      Jay

Comment

Still can't get on FMP but the summary book on Ancestry has 3 families at 65 James Street, Pancras

Burns 3 males 3 females
                        Allum 2 males 3 females
                        Fennymore 2 males 1 female
                        Jay

Comment

Have you seen the tree on Ancestry that has Benjamin Charles Pryke (1914). That has his being born at 65 James Street St. Pancras London, trying to check this address in 1911 but I keep loosing my connection to FMP.
                          Yes, am in contact with the submitter.

Still can't get on FMP but the summary book on Ancestry has 3 families at 65 James Street, Pancras
                          Burns 3 males 3 females
                          Allum 2 males 3 females
                          Fennymore 2 males 1 female
                          I know where Benjamin Pryke was in 1911 - with his wife Jenny and their two children.
                          I'll check out that address on FMP for 1911 just to see if it has any connection to Fred and Annie.
                          Elaine

Comment

I think Violet died before Benjamin Charles Pryke enlisted in the army as Fred Ovenell. The children listed on the enlistment papers are Henry John Ovenell & BCP's 2 children. Not that I can find a death record to back that up but it would seem strange for her to still be alive at that point & not be included as a dependant.
                            Good thinking JayG!

Perhaps her death is mis-transcribed or maybe she was put up for adoption??

Margaret

Comment

Here's the birth registration
                              Violet Edna Ovenell
                              Year of Registration:1904, Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar District: Hackney, Volume:1b, Page:545
                              Margaret

Comment

The baptism for Violet in 1905 (on Ancestry) was a private baptism so I wondered if it was done as a matter or urgency because of ill health - although I can't see a corresponding death certificate at about that time.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                  Violet Edna Ovenell
                                  Year of Registration:1904, Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar District: Hackney, Volume:1b, Page:545
                                  Margaret
                                  My contact has just ordered that one today to see if it gives us any additional information.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Good thinking JayG!
                                    Perhaps her death is mis-transcribed or maybe she was put up for adoption??
                                    Violet Edna Ovenell
                                    The birth certificate for Violet doesn't show any hint of adoption.
                                    Have found her in 1905 in the Hackney Union Workhouse records on Ancestry, together with her brother Henry John and mother Annie.
                                    No sighting of Fred at that time.

However, this thread has been picked up by google and I have been contacted by another Ovenell researcher and have this morning received a photo of Fred dated 1918 ... so he must be out there somewhere, unless of course he changed his name as well!

Just goes to show, always worth posting a thread about your brickwall - you might just find someone else out there working on the same line.
                                    Elaine

Comment

hi, ive just registered with the site and i noticed you had mentioned violet e avenell. This was my nan who married my grandad (mr Wadhams) - im sorry but they are not related to the ovenell family.

Comment

Originally posted by dam1enne View Post
                                        hi, ive just registered with the site and i noticed you had mentioned violet e avenell. This was my nan who married my grandad (mr Wadhams) - im sorry but they are not related to the ovenell family.
                                        Welcome to the forum and thanks for eliminating Violet Avenell.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X