Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did he go?

Hi all,

I've been looking for John James Barratt/Barrett b.1871 in Barrowden Rutland. I can find him on the 1881 & 1891 census's living with his parents John & Lydia but can't find him anywhere after then.... where did he go? Any ideas anyone?
    Ness

Hi Vanessa, a couple of ideas:-

1901. believe he was wrongly transcribed as John C Browett........... age and place of birth fits. Occupation ok - was an Ag.Lab on the 1891. Residence : White Horse,Morcott - (his parents John and Lydia also on the 1901 are at the Priory, Morcott.

John James -
    RG number:
    RG13 Piece:
    3018 Folio:
    21 Page:
    John & Lydia -
    RG number:
    RG13 Piece:
    3018 Folio:
    25 Page:

Have not found John James on the 1911 as yet - maybe he emigrated?
    " " " " " marriage.

Nina

Comment

There's one of the right name and age here: RG14/19248 RG78/1151 RD407 SD2 ED31 SN66
      but he says his PoB is Leicester, not Rutland, and the name of the wife of 15 years is Florence Violet.

Christine

EDIT: not this one
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-12-10, 17:08.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found him in 1911:
        RG14/20274 RG78/1215 RD428 SD1 ED1 SN269
        with a wife, Agnes, also b 1871, of 17 years, in Mansfield.
        His PoB is given as Barrowden, Rutland.

Here they are in 1901:
        RG13/3134 fo 59 p 42
        His PoB is given as Barrowden, but in Derbyshire - and that's what the image says.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-12-10, 17:17.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Not forgetting the caveat that "John James BARRATT" (& variants) is not that uncommon a name.

Christine

Comment

The marriage isn't the possible-looking 1894 one in Rochdale. That was BARRETT John & MCCARTHY Margaret.

Looks much more likely to be the one in 1895 q2, in Worksop area (is Mansfield in the Worksop District? - I think it could be, if it isn't a District itself), where his name is given in full, and one of the two possible brides is Agnes WOODS.

Christine

Comment

Bits of Rutland seem to float around Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire but never Derbyshire!! that must be a complete aberration by the enumerator
              Margaret

Comment

Hi all,
                Thank you all for taking the time to help me. It doesn’t help that there appears to have been another John J Barratt born in Barrowden at about the same time. When I was looking for my John in the 1891 census I came across the other one who was living in Deene Northants then, but my John was still living with his parents at that time. On Ancestry I notice you can see what other records are being saved with the records you are looking at & from that it seems some people are mixing up the two John’s.

Hi Nina,
                I did see that one but I know that there was a family of Browett’s living in the area around that time so thought maybe that wasn’t him.

Hi Christine,
                I looked at the 1901 census image you found & it does look like it says Barrowden on the image (even though the index thingy says Barrow Sea). It does look like it’s him though & the marriage as well. I need to top up my credits to be able to see the 1911 census entry but with his birthplace being given as Barrowden & wife as Agnes it definitely appears to link everything together.

Thank you all very much for your help, I really appreciate it
                Ness

Comment

Working...
                X