• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant I find his Wife ?

have a
    John David Pingram
    marrying in 1855
    Jun Lewisham 1D 855
    there is only one woman named and two men it should be a Sarah ??? how can I find the Wife ? Its not appearing on FMP FreeBMD or Ancestry
    Thanks

There were a lot of Sarah's married in Lewisham in the same quarter; you could try looking at the images to see which page number's been mistranscribed.

Comment

hi Mary I'm not sure what you mean ? how will I know ?

Comment

These are the possible Sarahs' on Free BMD Val.
        I have just checked on Ancestry the pages for Britter, Cowell, Crawford and King, which seemed the most likely mistranscriptions.
        They are all readable apart from Sarah Godfrey which is a very poor quality page.

Marriages Jun 1855ALLEN Sarah Lewisham 1d909 BOULTTON Sarah Lucy Lewisham 1d870 BRITTER Sarah Lewisham 1d835 CARR Sarah Lewisham 1d912 COOPER Sarah Ann Lewisham 1d889 COWELL Sarah Elizabeth Lewisham 1d835 CRAWFORD Sarah Lewisham 1d838 GODFREY Sarah Lewisham 1d852 HYAM Sarah Harriet Lewisham 1d861 KING Sarah Lewisham 1d833 PYLE Sarah Lewisham 1d842 RASON Sarah Jane Lewisham 1d843 TOWNSEND Sarah Lewisham 1d890
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks very much Chrissie sorry didnt thank you earlier was checking what I could find, will check these out.

Comment

I did a search on Freebmd for a Sarah married in Lewisham Jun Q 1855 vol 1d. Then clicked on all page numbers shown in the results, looking for an odd number of people listed for that page. Page 835 has an odd number of people including 2 Sarahs. Looked at the scan for Sarah Elizabeth Cowell and the page number could well be 855. You could try looking at the scan on Ancestry as they are often better.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Comment

How very odd. I just wanted to check the scanned image on Ancestry to see if it was better and I can't find her. I then looked at the image for any Cowell in the June Q 1855 and Sarah Elizabeth Cowell is not listed on the image. Don't know if I am just making an error as it's getting late, but would be interested to know if anyone else can spot her, or tell me where I have gone wrong!

Comment

What I did was take the list off FreeBMD, and copy-paste into Excel.

I sorted it by the page number, since it was already only Lewisham, June-Q, 1855. And then I could see which page numbers didn't have the right balance of names.

I agree that Sarah Elizabeth COWELL looks as if she ought to be in the set with John PINGRAM.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks very much for finding them for me have found a baptism for the Cowell one now which looks likely thanks again.

Comment

The Sarah Elizabeth Cowell isn't actually on the page it says on Ancestry, you have to move one page forward. Which is possibly why you couldn't find her.
                    I discounted her yesterday as it definitely looks like 835 to me.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie. I must have been very tired to have missed her. Looked at the scan on your link and, unfortunately, it's no better than the one on FreeBMD. If you look at the middle 3 of the number it could be a 5. The down stroke of the 7 in the number on the line above makes it look like a 3. As Val has found the baptism all is well. Am I strange in enjoying solving puzzles like this?

Comment

your not unusual Pat I'm nosey too ! oops mean interested ;Dlol, thanks again Chrissie now I'm not so sure ? as there seems to be lots of Sarah's born about the right time in the right place ??????????

Comment

Chrissie Smiff
                          I discounted her yesterday as it definitely looks like 835 to me.
                          If you enlarge the image, 855 begins to look much more likely.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

so do you think its the Sarah Elizabeth Cowell then Christine ? as I cannot really afford the Cert at the moment

Comment

It does look quite a reasonable possibility Val. Though I'm not sure how you can be certain without the marriage cert, or without finding it in the records. I have searched the London marriages on Ancestry a couple of times and can't find the John David Pingram marriage I'm afraid.

Comment

There is a Private tree on Ancestry called the Pingram family and they have Sarah Elizabeth Cowell born 1829 Deptford kent in it. Also has John David Pingram 1833 Kent.
                                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

That looks promising Wendy. Someone to contact for you Val

Comment

That tree is mine Wendy I added that Sarah last night then had doubts ??? thanks for looking.

Comment

Sorry Val, thought the owner - lspingram - was someone different, not you.
                                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

ooh really Wendy I didnt spot that thanks very much shall go see if I can email her

Comment

Working...
                                        X