Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query re death certificate info

I have a death certificate for 1938 which has the following info

Daisy Maud Leney OTHERWISE Dugden = age 35 = spinster, daughter of Edward Leney

What should I understand from the use of the word 'otherwise'?

There is no familyu link to the surname Dugden and the informant is not a family member (she died in a workhouse/hospital in the village where she lived)

Could she have been co-habiting/common-law wife??
    Any thoughts/advice appreciated
    Thank you

The use of "otherwise" means that she used and was known by the name Dugden.

Yes, I would imagine it meant she was cohabiting with Mr Dugden and was known as Mrs Dugden!

OC

Comment

Thank you OC
      I hesitated to think that this family might do something 'unconventional' - will make a note to check the electoral rolls next time I'm in the record office.
      regards

Comment

Sussex Maid

I had an elderly Victorian aunt who was the pillar of respectability and would practically swoon at the idea of sex before marriage (and after it, too, by her expression, lol).

So I was knocked sideways to discover that she was four months pregnant when she walked up the aisle!

A schoolfriend had a very strict mother (even stricter than mine) and all things "rude" were completely ignored. Turned out some years later that my friend's father was not her father and that her parents had never married because his first wife wouldn't give him a divorce.

Believe me, there is nothing new under the sun and it is often the very prim and proper who have most to hide.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

A schoolfriend had a very strict mother (even stricter than mine) and all things "rude" were completely ignored. Turned out some years later that my friend's father was not her father and that her parents had never married because his first wife wouldn't give him a divorce.

Believe me, there is nothing new under the sun and it is often the very prim and proper who have most to hide.

OC
          I had a great aunt like that. She was a terrible snob and thought she was better than all the rest of the family - despite being born in a rough part of Tooting, South London! Her 'husband' was my grandmother's brother. It was only after their daughter married in the early 1960s, some 30 years after their 'marriage', that it was discovered that Great Uncle's wife (who he married in 1917) wouldn't divorce him and they had to wait until after her death so he could actually marry again! They married a year after their daughter's marriage, with no family or friends present. I've since discovered that she changed her name by deed poll to that of my Great Uncle back in the 1930s.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Sussex Maid

I had an elderly Victorian aunt who was the pillar of respectability and would practically swoon at the idea of sex before marriage (and after it, too, by her expression, lol).

So I was knocked sideways to discover that she was four months pregnant when she walked up the aisle!

OC
            That was my Gran, married June 1899, daughter born Dec 1899 & her sister had her first child a whole year before she married his father.
            Granny Barker & Inez & Jim Osborne.jpgGran on the left with sister & brother in law could you imagine anything less likely! ;D
            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Working...
            X