Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Related by blood and Descendants of.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Related by blood and Descendants of.........

Want to make sure I have this right......what's the difference?

Is related by blood the male line (paternal) and Descendants of the female line (Maternal) ?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

what context are you talking about? im afraid i dont get it.

Comment

If you are related by blood then you share a common ancestor, doesn't matter whether you are male or female. You may not be a descendant though - my cousins are not my descendants but they share (some of) my blood.

My descendants ALWAYS share some of my blood and they are those people who would not be born if I had not been born.

OC

Comment

I was going to launch into my explanation but OC has said everything in an admirably concise way!!!

Anne

Comment

Hi ladies, I have my tree on TP and was just trying to work out the difference of their descriptions of blood relationships and 'descendants of' other people. e.g, certain g.g.t's re grandparents are highlighted as being blood related while others are shown as me being descendants of others. I always thought if they were g.g. grandparents 1, 2, 3, etc. then surely there is no difference!
          Jen

Comment

You're right. If they are YOUR gg (or even ggggg) grandparents then you are BOTH blood related AND a descendant.

On the other hand if they are someone else on your tree's gg grandparent then you MIGHT be a blood relative but not a descendant.

Anne

Comment

Well I sort of understand it Anne, your explanation of it that is lol! It may take some time to sink in. I may get my head around it eventually. Many thanks all.

As an after thought though....if you are only a descendant, will you still carry their blood or not? Isn't it confusing!
              Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 06-12-10, 12:11.
              Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
                Well I sort of understand it Anne, your explanation of it that is lol! It may take some time to sink in. I may get my head around it eventually. Many thanks all.

As an after thought though....if you are only a descendant, will you still carry their blood or not? Isn't it confusing!
                No only about it. Look at it in terms of your own generation. You are a descendant of your parents, if you are descended from someone you must carry their blood - ie the blood line is passed on from father/mother to children and so on down through grand children, gt grandchildren. You are blood related (because you share an ancestor) but not descended from your parents' siblings and your cousins.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh where's my brain this morning Judith, now I see what OC was getting at lol! Of course, makes perfect sense now. As cousins we can share an ancestor but not necessarily be related through blood. Doh! Many thanks Judith........I need it spelt out don't I lol!
                  Jen

Comment

Errrmmmm ...... if you share an ancestor with a cousin then you ARE related by blood!

Try going a long way back in one of your family lines. You can probably find a pair who married and had a lot of children.
                    All their children; and all their grandchildren; great grandchildren etc etc are descendants of the first pair.
                    They are also all related by blood to each other (but obviously NOT their spouses who might also be in the tree)

I have an example of a couple who married in 1790 (part of a one name study) and we have (so far) attached over 300 descendants for the original couple. They are all related by blood .... even though it might be getting a bit thin by the 8th generation!

Anne

Comment

Know what you mean Anne, didn't expalin myself too well. We can all be related by blood from a particular descendant, apart from those 'marrying in' spouses who are not. And the blood line gets weaker, like my brain lol!
                      Jen

Comment

You got it!
                        Anne

Comment

Finally! lol!
                          Jen

Comment

Working...
                          X