No announcement yet.

Levien Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are, possibly, LDS films, which may/not be available online in transcription.

Death records may be only in the form of civil registration. That is - you'd need the civil registration to be able to start guessing the burial place.

... But somewhere around Richmond, as I recall, there are cemetery records online?

Yes: http://www2.richmond.gov.uk/burials/
    but at the moment:
    Unfortunately our burial records search is currently unavailable. Please try another time. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Naomi
      I have only just stumbled across the site where you you found the info about Lewis Thompson but I was already getting the feeling of Jewish connections via the Levien name. If Charlotte's maiden name doesn't turn out to be Levien then I am sure that it will appear in her family 1 or 2 generations removed. The Leviens keep cropping up in events in the Thompson family i.e
      John Levien Thompson married Susannah Elizabeth Thurpin in 1868. When he died in 1877 Susannah re married in 1882 & one of her witnesses was a Sarah Levien.
      Moggie

Comment

Hi Christine - yes, just looked it up Burial registers search - London Borough of Richmond upon Thames but not available at the moment. Got it from Cyndi's List - England - Surrey
        Unless they stayed around West Ham maybe. Wonder if Margot and 'Rene' married?

Comment

Margot may have married in 1941q2 - that is, someone with her unusual name & extra initials did. The partner doesn't come up readily - will have to do a bit of rooting around, but the surname is unusual.

... I think this means that I can name the surname:
          There's a matching death for Margot Alice DURKIN aged 89 in West Surrey in Oct 1999. Her DoB is given as 17 Apr 1910.

There are a couple of likely children b Brentford 1943q2 and 1947q1: a son and a daughter.
          Can't see a marriage for the son, but the daughter may have married in 1970q1 in Ealing (with a possible daughter and son in the London-ish area, in the next few years).

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-09-09, 23:15.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Moggie - Yes, I'm sure there was a Jewish Levien..it can also be Levy, Levine, Levy etc etc The name Lewis is an anglicised form of Levy and derivatives. Also, Solomon is a Jewish name for example, so is Sarah. If it comes from the male side of the family, somewhere there is a male who was more than likely a Levite....or if it's a female, her father was a Levite....the surname could have been something different but would have ended with Ha Levi for Jewish records. Not all Levy's etc are Levites but I'd say in this case they probably are and that's why it's been carried down.

Comment

Hi Naomi
              I don't think the Levien name came through to the family via James. He was born in Wells Norfolk, from census records & I can't find any evidence of this name in Norfolk.
              Moggie

Comment

I see that the MMN for Irene (1912q4) is transcribed as "Shobridge".

Looking for marriages turns up too many possibilities: not hundreds, but too many to guess with.

Christine

PS... there is a death for Irene Ella BRECH, age 88, in Oct 2000, whose DoB was 21 Sep 1912. This would go with the marriage of Irene E L Thompson in 1936q3 Brentford (that spouse doesn't come up readily, either).
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 29-09-09, 23:28.

Comment

Christine - Brentford and West Surrey make sense if they stayed in the area.
                  Moggie - let's hope there's a birth cert for Charlotte! ; -)
                  Di - Are you looking to make contact with the family in a forward sense re; Christine's info.

Comment

It is all so overwhelming, but would love to make contact for the sake of my children.
                    Di

Comment

Margot may have married in 1941q2 - that is, someone with her unusual name & extra initials did. The partner doesn't come up readily - will have to do a bit of rooting around, but the surname is unusual.

Terence J Durkin spouse name LevieU- Thompson.
                      Moggie

Comment

Hi Di - yes, it can all be a bit daunting sometimes! ; -) - but it's great to get results!!

Comment

Just been looking in the London Gazette - quite a few mentions of the name e.g
                          Able Seaman Albert William Levien Thompson abandoned the Levien part in 1934,
                          in 1955, William Henry Levien Thompson was announced as a Storehouseman at
                          Priddy's Hard and Rupert Arthur Levien Thompson was announced as a Coppersmith...
                          London Gazette Home Page
                          It might also be worth chasing up Lewis's father's role in the Boer War..there should be some records for him.

Comment

Levien Thompson

What a coincidence my grandfather Ernest Levien Thompson worked at Priddys Hard.
                            Di

Comment

Possibly not a coincidence - maybe a connection.

This site is interesting:
                              Priddy's Hard.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine - Yes, I agree...probably find that more of the family worked there as well.

Comment

Priddys Hard used to be one of our biggest employers here in Gosport. Even my mother had to work there as part of her war effort, only having to leave when she was carrying me because it was a munitions depot.
                                  Di

Comment

Hi - have you received Charlotte's birth cert?

Comment

Charlotte

no, but will let you know the minute I do.
                                      Di

Comment

Hi - have you received Charlotte's birth cert? :conf:

Hi Di
                                        Have I missed something? I thought it was John's birth cert you were sending for to find out Charlotte's maiden name.
                                        Moggie

Comment

My fault..confused the names around.....unless you're getting two certs Di! ; -)

Comment

Working...
                                          X