No announcement yet.

Levien Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the other hand there's a record in All Saints, Kensington, for Frances Julia, same parents (it looks like), and bap 14 May 1876, where he is a French polisher.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Di,
      I hope you managed to find James & Charlotte Thompson in 1851 eventually. They are also on the 1841, in a similar area (Lambeth), the 41 says none of them were born "in county", I haven't done any London research myself, so i don't know how significant that would be, considering George says he born in Lambeth on all the following census.Perhaps someone else who has done some London research could help....could it mean they were born in Greater London?

I've tried to find Frances Elizabeth Levien, (the marriage witness) but can't find her on any census, although there is a family with parents Edward & Elizabeth Levien in the same area, so they're probably connected....they have a daughter Julia, that name seems to be popular with the Thompson family, so again there is a tenuous link.

Don't forget to use the wildcard search, it helps when the spelling isn't transcribed correctly.
      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Levien-Thompson

Please can I thank you all for showing me where to look for marriage records, censuses etc.. I only wish I had half your expertise.
        Di

Comment

Originally posted by DiD View Post
          Please can I thank you all for showing me where to look for marriage records, censuses etc.. I only wish I had half your expertise.
          Di
          Di,

it will come with time, the more you read and find out which sites are best for what record you need.. you will get there, honest :smilee:
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Di
            I can't find the marriage witness Frances Elizabeth Levien either on any census but I have found a possible marriage for her in 1879 to Frank Osborne at St George the Martyr, Queen Square. Both of full age. Frank's address is 91Charrington St & this is where they are living in 1881. Frances' details from this census are that she was born c1851 Lambeth.
            Frances's father was Solomon Levien, cabinet maker & her address was 6 East St.
            East St could be anywhere in London but there was an East St in the district of St George the Martyr & living at no 6 in 1881 was a Charlotte LEVINE wid age 76 born London & her sister Fanny Gabriel age 64 unmarried born London.
            I am still trying to find these sisters on an earlier census.
            Moggie

Forgot to give witnesses names George Levien & Elizabeth Wilson or Milson.
            Last edited by maudarby; 28-09-09, 17:26.

Comment

Moggie,
              the Charlotte Levien & Fanny Gabriel were a good find....though I'm having trouble finding them in earlier census.

There is a Charlotte Levien marriage on Ancestry, on the LMA data, could anyone with access have a look & see if she married a James Thompson, please.

thank you,
              ~ Louise ~

Comment

No, she married Robert Bodmin at Saint James the Great, Bethnal Green, on 9 April 1871.

Comment

Just looked at the image, and I'm pretty sure the surname's mistranscribed - should be Swain, not Levien.

Comment

Thanks Mary...thought I was onto something there!!:(
                    ~ Louise ~

Comment

Hi - I don't susbscribe to the major sites - Lewis Frederick L Thompson was registered March quarter, Fulham, 1909. He had two sisters. I think this is Lewis Frederick Levian Thompson, the poet/author as per his bio. Can anybody see more info for this family?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Levien Thompson

Am getting scared to go to bed as you are all beavering away on my behalf, can only hope you are on another continent.
                        Have contacted America to see if Richard Lannoy (Lewis's editor) can throw a little more light on this branch of the family.
                        Di

Comment

Morning Di
                          Something a bit strange going on with this family. Michael married 1866 as Thompson Levien, father James Thompson Levien & both Michael & Henry are listed in the 1871 census as Levien. You have to send for one of the birth certs to find the maiden name of Charlotte to satisfy our curiousity. Michael is indexed as Mitchell so I would go for John's cert. Details John Levien Thompson 1849 Qtr Jan/Feb/Mar Lambeth Vol 4 Page 309. I have checked the details on the image.
                          Moggie

Comment

Thanks, will do so as soon as I get home. Am busy house-sitting a 17yr grand-son and a dog and don't want to put my card details into this computer.
                            Di

Comment

According to the bio for Lewis Levien Thompson, he had two younger sisters, Margot and Irene known as Rene. I found a Margot Alice L Thompson reg June quarter, 1910 in West Ham...not sure about Irene...

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                According to the bio for Lewis Levien Thompson, he had two younger sisters, Margot and Irene known as Rene. I found a Margot Alice L Thompson reg June quarter, 1910 in West Ham...not sure about Irene...
                                That was a brilliant bit of info. I have now found that Lewis Levien Thompson was the great grandson of James, grandson of George (1836) & son of Henry(1866).
                                Henry Lewis L Thompson married Ella Elizabeth Shoebridge Q4 1907 Richmond Surrey.
                                1911 census West Ham district
                                Henry age 45 (1866) born Gosport
                                Ella age 38 (1875) born Kent
                                Lewis age 2 (1909) born Fulham
                                Margot age 11 mths (1910)

Irene was born in 1912 West Ham district.
                                Moggie

Comment

Henry Lewis L Thompson married Ella Elizabeth Shoebridge Q4 1907 Richmond Surrey.
                                  They don't come up as having married at the church there.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank-you so much, I knew there had to be a link to James. Heard back from America with Richard lannoy's address. But first off to the library.
                                    Do

Comment

Quote -Henry Lewis L Thompson married Ella Elizabeth Shoebridge Q4 1907 Richmond Surrey.
                                      They don't come up as having married at the church there.

Hi Christine - could they have married in a registry office? I don't know too much about church records....better on synagogues! ;-)
                                      What's interesting is that Richmond is not too far from West Molesey - (I used to live in Richmond and Twicks etc) - one bio says that the family spent time at their summer house, 'The Priory'....there was a Priory there..which is now a football ground..and there is a Priory Road...I found a reference to Priory House as a name but for the 1700's.
                                      Another bio says that it was the home of his aunt and uncle. Either way, it's a good area. The bio also says that his father run away at 18 to join the Fifth Dragoon Guards, served in India and was at the seige of Ladysmith during the Boer War.
                                      One bio says that Lewis went to a private school, the other that he went to Loughton School for Boys, and as a teen, he lived in London on his own and surived on a legacy.
                                      I get the feel that the family might not have approved of his involvement with Buddhism as they were strict Protestant..it says his mother was part Irish and his father part Jewish....which would make sense, and I think must go back to the original Levien connection. I suppose that could have been Levy as well, or Levine, etc..does imply they were Levites..so might have been something H'Levi and it's morphed.

Thanks Moggie! ; -)

Comment

...could they have married in a registry office?
                                        That's certainly a possibility - or, if they were Christian, not C of E or RC, but protestant, they may have been married in a Methodist or Baptist Church, or in a Quaker Meeting House.

I thought it worth remarking because the Richmond parish marriage registers are amongst the new images available on Ancestry.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine - I don't subscribe to any of the major sites...are there records for Methodists, Baptists and Quakers for that time frame? - or are there death records for Henry Lewis L Thompson and Ella?
                                          Naomi

Comment

Working...
                                          X