No announcement yet.

Can anyone help date this photo please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help date this photo please?

Photo of one of my Great Grandmothers..but not sure which one.

Thanks

Linda

Well done for getting it on here .... no doubt the costume experts will be along soon

Silly question but is there anything at all on the back ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel,

No nothing at all, dark green front and dark maroon back.

Linda

Comment

Here's a quick clean and enlargement

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I believe it was the custom to wear black for years after becoming a widow.. so that may help. But check this site out....
          Costume Detective - How to Date an Old Photograph
          John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Duh.... I just realised it's a black and white picture. I think I need more coffee lol
            John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

I think g.granny dates from the very end of the 1890s. Her bonnet appears to fasten in a big bow at the side of her neck, ( very fancy) Her hair is piled up on top of her head with the bonnet sat on top, this would definitely fit the period. She seems to have a watch on a chain fastened on her chest, her dress looks to be silk ( very nice), and after peering at her cape on the bench, I think that has feathers on the shoulders, very fashionable.

Comment

Morning Barbara

Linda ... if you could scan it at a higher resolution (at least 300) then we might be able to see the detail

Comment

It is quite possoible that this is a Mourning Dress.
                  A widow would mourn for two and a half years, with the first year and a day in full mourning. During that time pieces of the crape covered just about all of a garment at deepest mourning, but the crape was partially removed to reach the period of secondary mourning which lasted nine months. After that the crape was defunct and a widow could wear fancier lusher fabrics or fabric trims made from black velvets and silk and have them adorned with jet trimming, lace, fringe and ribbons.
                  John

Comment

Morning Rachel.....;)

Comment

Personally I'd agree late 1890's.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the help so far.

Rachel being a complete numpty with computers how do I enlarge it?

Linda

Comment

Also...any one got any ideas how old she is?

I know that most of them seem to have looked a lot older than their years back then

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
                            Thanks so much for all the help so far.

Rachel being a complete numpty with computers how do I enlarge it?

Linda
                            I'm a DUMBO and my brain has definitely melted today, but it depends what you mean by 'enlarge'

Do you mean you want to print it larger ? or are you talking about scanning it at a higher resolution ?

Comment

yes mourning dress also the ring on her finger is big,they used to have the deceased hair in the ring,brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Rachel,

I think we are as bad as each other lol

you said.....................

Linda ... if you could scan it at a higher resolution (at least 300) then we might be able to see the detail

I don't know how to do that

Linda

Comment

Well the bench is definately Victorian. I emailed the guy who makes copies of Victorian Benches after seeing an exact copy. Damian Liptrott of Lost Arts Ltd said.... We do know it was Victorian, and I do believe that the design was installed at Derby Arboretum which is an early public space.
                                  He was very helpful and I was waiting for certs from the CRO and bored I am still waiting.
                                  This is the bench he makes. The name is one he gave it.
                                  Rustic style Victorian design cast iron park or garden bench, featuring branch style decoration, now available from Lost Art Limited. We focus on the regeneration of parks and gardens from the Victorian era, supplying and installing cast iron and tim

I am sure he would be facinated by the picture.

Mid to late 1890's is my guess and I reckon she is between 45 and 50
                                  John

Comment

Thanks Everyone,

I am pleased you said between 45 and 50 John as that fits in nicely with my information.

Have Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother on 1891 census and then GGrandmother on her own in 1901. Have GGrandfathers death
                                    certificate dated 1895 and on 1901 census GGrandmother was 47.

Thanks so much everyone.

I now am pretty certain she is Mary Langham (nee Carroll) my paternal GGrandmother.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
                                      Hi Rachel,

I think we are as bad as each other lol

you said.....................

I don't know how to do that

Linda
                                      Hi Linda
                                      Have a look on this page .... post # 275

If these do not look like your scanner settings, then I think there are other instructions somewhere on the website ... will have a look
                                      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 05-09-08, 20:59.

Comment

Carroll is my surname and alas, a brick wall (Liverpool) that I am chipping away at and determined to crack.... spooky! but no Langham :(
                                        John

Comment

Working...
                                        X