This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you with FTM

With FTM the file you are working on with all info is there any way you can change the name of it why you are working with it, ;;;
    I have so many gedcoms there named similar scared I delete the wrong one ???????????
    borobabs passed away March 2018

If you find the files on your pc, right click then select the rename option that is probably the easiest way.

Your main problem is that you will have to make sure you know what is on each file, give them a name that means something significant (and ideally be no more than eight characters long).

You will then have to open each file in FTM, then close FTM down to save the files with the new name (BUT........... this just means you are making more files and your problem at the moment is multiple files, making more files just adds to the problem).
    The more files you have the more disciplined you have to be about making backup copies, and ensuring you open the correct file for editing. More files=more work.

On my FTM i have five files, each with a name that makes them easy to identify;

1...BirthFam (Birth Family Tree)
    2...AdoptFam (Adoptive Family Tree)
    3...MeiklFam (The family tree for Mrs Gand her tribe)
    4...GoulsFam (One name study, Goulson family)
    5...ElmerFam (One name study, Elmer family)

Files 4 and 5 are made from splitting the details from file #1

Tip for naming GED files

Although via properties you can see the date the file was created i find it easier to name the file with the date and reason

ie Aug 08 GR. GED file created August 2008 for GR
    Jul 08 FTF. GED File created July 2008 for FTF
    ElmerFam.GED Elmer One Name Study for export to Tribal Pages, Ancestry etc
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-08-08, 16:35.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

File names do not need to be restricted to 8 characters! One of my files is named "Pusey Family Tree Aug 2008" and the full name comes up at the top of the program.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
        File names do not need to be restricted to 8 characters! One of my files is named "Pusey Family Tree Aug 2008" and the full name comes up at the top of the program.
        True Wendy but for some reason GED files are best limited to a filename of not more than 8 characters, i'm not sure why exactly but the FTM helpcentre does warn against going for too many characters in a filename.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to reply , many thanks Glen will go loof for the gedcom I want as main one and rename it ;;

Comment

I think the maximum 8 characters is a throw back to the old DOS operating system. Doesn't make any difference to my files though.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Just made it my tree with notes and re opened it ok ,,,all this carry on because I am starting new tree with just main branches but still wanted to save the other to go back to for confirmation of things ;;;;lol

Comment

Working...
              X